Thursday, April 12, 2007

Coming up with ideas

I like the two characters I came up with for this Space Opera. Not sure what I'll do with it in the end. If I ever manage to get to the "end." It's fun, though. Aaron hasn't made his appearance in this yet, but he is in a few Flash Fiction ones I spewed out. This came about from an exercise.

Setting: A dank cave

Character: A beggar

Conflict: There is suddenly an unbearable smell nearby

It consists of a whopping 1261 words. Sad, it is. And as it stands, Josh isn't really a begger but he had to resort to that role while stranded on a planet he detests. So far, as I skimmed through the paltry words written, it might seem that this is on some fantasy world, but there is a reference that it is not.

The cave part will be coming up soonish to make its appearance. And the "unbearable smell" will be revealed also. And Josh thinks things are bad for him now. Bwaaahahaha! After that Aaron will make his entrance. Drunk as a skunk, but he'll be there for the rescue.

::what the hell is "drunk as a skunk" skunks get drunk?::

I think I need to do some more Flash Fiction in order to tighten up. I've seemed to wander into wordiness a bit too much with this right from the beginning. Writing Flash Fiction does help get rid of excess words, so it's quite the eye opener. Absolute Write has a section for writing it.

Josh ran headlong into a boulder knocking him backwards and he landed flat on his back. He hadn't the strength left to run. Or walk for that matter. But he could crawl. Gritty sand dug under his nails and sifted through his clothes. His skin felt like someone had dumped minute particles of glass all over him. But he still crawled.

No comments: