Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Challenging myself

Starting yesterday I set up a calendar and entered 2,000 words to write per day for the rest of this month. I hit my mark last night at 2,017 words. If I can maintain that this month the total will give me around 72,000 words. I have no idea if it will get me to the end or not. I also have no idea if I can do this every day, but I want to up my average until I can hit, well, I don't really have a specific amount set at the moment, but I'm thinking ahead to NaNo.

I'd like to see the end of this WIP too. After that it can sit in the background and wait until I'm ready to begin going through it. I think I may need to go look for some exercises on writing description. I so suck at that and it shows. I could probably do dialogue all day long and not have much of a problem, but describing things, blech, just can't seem to get it in there.

Once I get Treasure Trove finished I might devote more time to
Shattered Souls. That's sort of the plan, anyway. Of course I'm still thinking ahead for NaNo, although nothing brilliant has exploded in my head yet. My problem with Shattered Souls is that it's taking me longer to write. I guess the in depth stuff is what's slowing me down, and that seems to be a lot of the story itself. That and working on something that makes me stretch my writing skills, as lacking as they are.

Then there's the two shorts waiting to be finished. One is done, but still in editing mode. The other isn't quite there yet.

Last part of
Treasure Trove I wrote yesterday.

Sorry to disappoint you,” the captain said. “Everyone has been give orders to not harm any of you.”

Including your niece?” Devon wanted to remind the captain of what he had already allowed her to get away with when she had him alone and away from the others.

Of course. She will not disobey me. I can assure you of that.”

You may be assured but, sorry, I don't buy it.” Devon rubbed his ribs to get his point across. Just in case the captain had forgotten so soon.

Last paragraph of Shattered Souls, which was written over two weeks ago. ::hangs head::

His hands covered her fists, his fingers prying hers open in slow movements. Caden jerked but Kane held fast until their palms touched. Shock waves went through her body and she no longer saw Kane standing before her. Instead she saw the past; painful and raw.
Neither have been edited yet so if anyone does read this, please be kind! :)
Off to do some cave chores!

No comments: